February 5, 2016
Who knew so many people were turned-on by vision boards?! I received more positive feedback on last week’s vision board post than almost any other one I’ve ever written.
Seriously, I am still responding to the shower of emails and texts I received and I love your enthusiasm! It’s clear you’re PUMPED UP by these little pieces of magic and I can see why – they rock and they work! So much so that I’m giving you more of my top vision board tips today!
Before I do, though, I need to say two things:
1. I underestimated the sheer amount of content I have on this subject, and I can’t possibly cram it all into one post. But … I’ll give you the basics and then some here today! And, if you’d like more info after that, I encourage you to check out my book, Uplift once its released (the content below is pulled straight out of it) and/or my Successful You online course, which has a huge section on vision boarding. There’s also a chance I’ll do another post on vision boards soon, so if you have any questions after reading today’s post ask me!
2. After creating free content for this blog for over a year, I need to scale things back to accommodate changes in my life and career. As much as I love connecting with you, I’ve known for a while I need to cut back so I’m going from weekly to bi-weekly from today on. I never do things without praying and contemplating and this is definitely the right choice for me and you. I care about you and appreciate your support and trust on this matter. And, if by some off-chance you’re upset/angry/bitter and don’t support this change, please know this: I respect your feelings and it’s probably time for us to part ways.
3. And, finally, if you’re new to these parts, welcome! I’m thrilled you’re here and hope you find everything you’re looking for and more!
Alright, now that we’ve got those pressing announcements out of the way, let’s get cracking on the topic at hand … one of my favorite ways to manifest amazing things: vision boarding!
I made this bedroom vision board two years ago … and had most of the furniture delivered last week! 🙂
What is a vision board?
If you recall from last week, a vision board is a visual, physical item you create to bring your dreams into reality. It’s a form of goal setting in a way; it forces you to get clear on what you want in your life. It also gets you out of your head – the part that can become overly analytical and judgmental – and into your imagination – the place where your creativity and spirit reside.
Why do it?
If you read my post last week, you may recall me saying I’ve manifested several things with vision boards. I was thinking about it, though, and this isn’t entirely true – “several” is really putting it mildly. From furniture to flowers, to deep and fulfilling relationships, vacations, published articles, paid speaking gigs, new clients, money, clothing, hotel rooms, gifts, jewelry and much more, vision boarding has been a gateway to positivity, love and abundance in multiple forms for me.
Again, as I said last week, I’m not the only one who’s benefited from vision boards; I’ve had clients, students, friends and family members – many of whom were very skeptical about the process – create significant and awesome changes in their lives through vision boards, as well. You don’t have to be rich, successful, or even happy to create a vision board. And I should know – I created my first board, which I filled with images that brought me joy, because I was depressed, lonely and anxious at the time and needed something to take my mind off the horrible sad images and feelings that riddled me.
My very first vision board!
Am I ready?
One of the biggest things I hear when I talk to my clients about vision boards is:
“I can’t do it now. My life is a mess!”, or “Once XYZ situation is cleared up or this is in place, I’ll do it,”.
If you recognize yourself in either of these statements I need you to know two things:
1. You are not alone!
2. This is the best time to put the power of vision boarding to work for you!
The thing is, though, the point of a vision board is not to do it after your life is perfect; the vision board is a tool to help you create the life you want – now!
Start your vision boarding engines!
Are you fired-up and ready to begin your board?
Great! Here are some key things to remember:
1. You can’t do it wrong! an item is important to you, put it on your board!
2. It doesn’t need to be perfect! No one needs to see it but you and it won’t be graded. The important thing is that it gets done!
3. Vision boards are incredibly powerful, so don’t put it on the board if you aren’t ready to receive it!
What Goes On Board?
Like I said before, this is your vision board, and you are in charge. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
You can do it free form – grabbing items that strike your fancy and placing them where you “feel” they go – or you can approach it in a more structured way – by filling the board with items from certain life categories. Some of the more common categories include:
-Health/wellness/fitness (healthy looking foods; the body you want, etc. A picture of the body you want with your head on top);
-Finances (money, bank statements, etc.)
-Fun/recreation/travel (i.e., vacation spots)
What to put on the board
Images, pictures, text, stickers … again, it’s personal choice. When we were in the Dominican Republic last month, I found a plastic sleeve from a drink that said “Heaven” on it and it’s now on one of my boards! Sometimes I even draw my own pictures or text. Magazines, photographs and google image searches are my top go-tos for vision board content. And you don’t just have to stick to white paper, either; cardstock, cardboard boxes, colored paper or really anything you can dream up make good mediums.
Just My Size
How big should a vision board be? Again, this is a personal preference (and I prefer to leave “should” out of my vocabulary 😉 I’ve done boards as small as a sticky note and as large as a poster board. I have several boards up in my house that take up half of a wall. Whatever works for you is the right answer!
What’s Holding You Back?
In my experience, the only thing that can go wrong with vision boarding is choosing not to find the time to do it! Vision boards are incredibly powerful and worth every moment of your time! I’ve stood back IN AWE at the items on my vision boards materializing and I’ve heard countless stories from my clients who have experienced the same themselves. This isn’t to say that all you have to do to create something is make a vision board, but it’s a darn good start!
As I bid you farewell for this week, I ask you:
Are you ready to create your vision board?
Tell me: When will you create your vision board and what will you put on it?
I absolutely LOVE hearing from you so please drop me a line about this post or anything you want to know or share about vision boards. A large majority of this post is directly from my book, so, if you like it, make sure to grab a copy once it’s available!
Until next time, keep smiling!